Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lent, Day 22


"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill." Matthew 5:17

Jesus' teachings were troubling to the Jews. Everything they had been taught to obey and observe, it seemed He called into question. From the earliest age, a good Jew taught their child all the fine details of the Law. They were ingrained with the prophecies, as well, which foretold of their coming Messiah. And this Man said so many things that seemed to contradict what they had always believed.

And yet...He didn't really contradict them. Here stood before them the fulfillment of it all. The One they had been told to expect: was here! The ultimate fulfillment would come at the cross, and through His resurrection. He was the complete picture. Everything they would need to please God, they would find in Him.

Everything we need...we find in Him!

My offering to God: I'll thank Jesus for being the perfect sacrifice the law required and the prophets foretold.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Me too! The lamb for sinners slain!

Blessings each day said...

How impressive that you are doing a meditation for each day of Lent...I'm faithfully doing my daily Bible reading, but I need to do more. I do have some lenten reflections that I can start.

God bless you,
marcy

Admin said...

Thanks to you both for your comments. Welcome to my blog, Marcy!