Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lent, Day 19--Third Sunday of Lent

"While He was in Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover, many began to believe in Him when they saw the signs He was doing." John 2:23

Isn't it a sad commentary on human nature that we have to see to believe? We have to have that "wow" factor in order to be convinced of the validity of something. Jesus had taught to many crowds. But when they SAW the signs, then they believed. It is quite telling that later in the passage, it says that Jesus didn't commit Himself to them. Because He knew the hearts of men. He knew who was really following because their hearts sought Him. He also knew who followed simply because of the signs.

Why do we follow? Do we follow from our hearts, or simply for the "wow" moments He gives us throughout our lives?

The beauty of it all is that He doesn't stop doing miracles simply because some only follow for that reason. He still does those wonderful things for us because He loves us. And because He truly is the Son of God.

My offering to God: I will rejoice that Christ's miracles show He is the Son of God.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I will rejoice with you! I haven't been feeling to good the last couple of days and am now reading the last couple of posts I missed. How well I know this story, yet every thing you write blesses me so!