Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lent, Day 30

" 'The works that the Father gave Me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on My behalf that the Father has sent Me.' " John 5:36b

The Pharisees always wanted signs and proofs. They had to see to believe. But even though they did see...they didn't believe. Of course, there were exceptions (like Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea). There were leaders among the Jews who recognized that Jesus must be from God. The majority, though, just couldn't believe that this simple Man from Galilee could be all He claimed to be.

But certainly, they had seen, or at least heard of, the things Jesus did: the lame walked, the blind could see, the dead were raised, the demoniacs were set free...amazing things!

The question I have for myself today is the same, though. Do I believe Jesus truly is all the things He said He was? Do I need to see to believe? Am I like Thomas, too, who said he had to see the nail scars and feel Jesus' side to believe? Or am I like the blessed ones, whom Jesus said believe without seeing?

My offering to God: I will rejoice that Christ's works and signs reveal that He is the Son of God.

1 comment:

Pat said...

It is so wonerful to have the blessed assurance that He IS the son of God!