Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lent, Day 29--The Feast of the Annunciation


" 'Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to Your word.' " Luke 1:38b

This passage is so beautiful. A young, Jewish virgin, visited by the angel Gabriel. Given a message that is astounding. Bear the Son of God?! And yet, Mary doesn't hesitate to say "yes" to God. The miracle of God placing His Son in her womb...wow.

The response to the Psalm today is, "Here I am, Lord. I come to do Your will." That is exactly what Mary was saying. And it is exactly what we must say to God, if we are going to walk in obedience: Yes, Lord! I'll do whatever You ask!

When I was younger, I always thought that meant some big life-change. But sometimes it simply means being faithful in some small, seemingly insignificant way: in the day-to-day; the ordinary things of life. Whatever He asks, though, whether it be big or small, I want to say, "YES!"

My offering to God: I will accept and embrace God's will and plan for my life.

No comments: