Monday, August 06, 2007

They Saw Jesus Alone


Today is the Feast of the Transfiguration. What a wonderful story of Jesus revealing His glory to His disciples. I've always figured Peter's suggestion was the result of being so overwhelmed by what he witnessed...he knew he needed to do or say something after seeing the great prophets and the glory of his Lord. Of course, God wanted Peter and the others to remember who was the only One worthy of praise.





"Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid. But Jesus came and touched them and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.” When they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only." (Matthew 17:1-8)




That's my favorite part of the verse: They only saw Jesus. All the other distractions were gone. I often wonder if the lesson for us today is that we should never lift up other men, no matter how great or godly, to the level that we see them as equal to God. Sure, there have been some amazing saints (Peter, James, and John among them). But no one ever deserves the praise that is to be reserved for God alone. I'm sure that as other events unfolded (the resurrection and ascension; Pentecost) the three witnesses realized how Christ's Transfiguration was just the "opening act" to what they would later experience. They got a glimpse into His glory. Wow.




_______________




On a side "note" (yes, pun intended)...I had my first chance to sing and play again yesterday. The first time in a very, very long time. It was nerve wracking, yes. But it felt good to once again to be praising God, and encouraging others to do the same. I only sang pre-service and post-communion. But it was a good thing. Thanks be to God.

3 comments:

Pat said...

What a great lesson - to see only Him. Sometimes - unfortunately we let the things of the world and daily living cloud our vision.
I bet when you sang, you saw only HIm - it must have been awesome!

Threat Assessment & Response Canada said...

I came here to see how you were doing and see if I could say something nice and/or encouraging to you. But instead, I got the blessing.

I've never looked at the Transfiguration that way before. Thank you for posting this.

Congrats on the singing and playing. What instrument do you play?

Admin said...

Well, I was playing keyboard Sunday. I also play alto sax, tenor sax, and clarinet...but haven't played them in years. (And even a tiny bit of guitar. I just don't want to cut my nails, so that is that! :o) )