Thursday, April 16, 2020

The World Through My Eyes

As most of my readers are aware, I am a person who struggles with anxiety, worry, and panic attacks.  It is something I've battled most of my life.  When faced with a new, or unfamiliar situation, something builds up inside me.  I can't concentrate on anything but that situation, and how I will solve it or end it.  It has been the shadow that follows me whenever change is about to take place.

One would think, then, that with the worldwide pandemic situation, I would be a mess.  All the usual things should be plaguing me:  Who else is going to contract coronavirus?  How many more people will die?  What if one of my family members shows symptoms?  What if life has changed forever?  What if this quickly-moving virus has stolen everything we thought we knew?

I can honestly say, though, this has not happened to me.  I am naturally concerned.  I do worry some when I feel like people are basically "thumbing their noses" to all the advice given by the medical professionals.  On a GOOD day, washing our hands, covering our coughs, drinking plenty of fluids, etc., is great advice.  These steps help protect us from the common cold, flu, and other viruses.  After having gone through two fairly rough battles with two different strains of influenza, I will testify to the necessity of these basic hygiene steps.  They are a bulwark again any germ that strives to grow

But these are not "good" days in our world, are they?  Millions of people have contracted COVID-19.  Over 100,000 people have died.  Healthcare workers and hospitals are stretched beyond their limits.  Businesses have been shut down.  Unemployment has skyrocketed.  We have learned a new "normal" as we have adapted to social distancing, staying at home, washing and rewashing our hands, sanitizing surfaces repeatedly, and watching the reports to see how the fight against this pandemic is progressing.

But, I'm not worried.  I have had one small panic attack during this entire ordeal, and it wasn't directly related to all of this.  It was just a normal life thing.

How is that possible?!

The answer can be found in today's Gospel reading from Luke 24: 
"While they were still speaking about this, he stood in their midst and said to them, 'Peace be with you.'”

The world of Jesus's disciples had been turned upside down.  He had been arrested, crucified, and buried.  The tomb was now empty.  They weren't completely sure what to do or believe.  Then, He came to them.  Knowing the turmoil in their hearts, His first words:  "Peace be with you" spoke to the core of their beings.

The same risen Lord is speaking that to us today as well.  He knows the world is crazy.  He knows there is disease, anxiety, confusion, and despair.  Yet He still speaks those simple words, "Peace be with you."  He has overcome the grave.  We no longer need to fear death.

"Peace be with you!"



No comments: