Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Image from the Past

Most of my readers know about the tornado that destroyed my hometown of Greensburg, Kansas, on May 4, 2007. I grew up on a farm just a few miles north of this town.

I found this photo of the hair salon where I used to get my hair cut. (And my mom was a regular patron, before the tornado.) To know I sat in one of those chairs...wow. The shock still hasn't worn off, even though it has been almost a year. I haven't seen the devastation in person yet. Possibly this summer. I'm not sure how I'll handle it when I do see it for the first time.

If you want to view updates on the progress of the town's rebuilding efforts, I have links on my sidebar.

E-Clips Hair Salon

8 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh my Im so glad you're safe. I've never been anywhere close to a tornado!!

Admin said...

Mrs. D,
I actually live in Ohio now, but grew up near Greensburg. Thankfully, my whole family was safe throughout the whole ordeal.

My aunt had lost a home to a tornado 5 years ago, and lost another to this tornado. Life in Kansas is never
boring!

We do get tornadoes in Ohio, too, but Kansas seems to be a prime target.

Hidden One said...

Oh wow.

Jada's Gigi said...

Wow! scary thing and very emotional for you I know....

Anonymous said...

Wow.

When we see these images on the news we sometimes don't recognize that it's not just a building that is gone, but something that held memories.

Pat said...

Even seeing the destruction with your own eyes...it's hard to imagine. How my heart goes out to all those who experienced this. We have our share of tornadoes in Michigan, I know what it feels like when a warning goes out, but thankfully I have never experienced actually being in one.

Army Guy said...

I can really relate to what you said. A friend of mine from FEMA sent me some aerial shots of Greensburg the day after. It was some pretty complete devastation. I work with a Disaster Team in The Salvation Army and all I can tell you that when you go back, focus on both the things that were not destroyed as well as the things that are rebuilt. If you focus on the destruction, you will become very depressed. God has a plan for all who were involved. Tornadoes are the strangest things, leaving some things untouched while flattening the things 20 feet away. I'm always surprised that there isn't more death than occurs. God bless you and your family. Stay safe

Admin said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. My family keeps me updated on the rebuilding efforts there. My niece, sister, and brother-in-law all work in the city, in various capacities. Life has definitely changed there since the tornado.

God bless you all, and please keep praying for that community!