Monday, May 28, 2007

Some Gave All


Today, we celebrate Memorial Day. Many view it as the "beginning of summer". There is the constant sound of mowers running. Someone in the home and garden business has convinced the homeowners of America that this is also "fix your yard" weekend. Whatever.

The day began as Decoration Day: a day to honor those who gave their lives in the Civil War. Today, we honor all who have given their lives in service to our country--those who have paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we all enjoy.

Today, I especially honor: my dad, who served in the Korean War; my uncle, who served in Germany; my husband's grandfather, who served during World War II (and was given a bronze star); my friend's husband, who served in Iraq; my niece's husband, who also served in Iraq. And a young man named Luke Emch, whom I never had the privilege to meet. This young man, who grew up in this area, was killed by an explosive in Iraq a few months ago. I had the privilege, along with our two sons, to hold a flag in his honor as the funeral procession passed through our town. To all of these men, and the men and women who have served and continue to serve...I pay tribute. You have my deepest respect.

In the words of Billy Ray Cyrus:

"All gave some, and some gave all..."

God bless you for blessing us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good......

BekABoo said...

What honor you have in your family. My grandfather served and my hubby's in now, although neither have seen combat. This post, and holiday in general, brings a tear to my eye, and frankly, scares me a little.
Sorry I've been kinda out of commission. It was the move. I see you've been very busy! I'll enjoy catching up!