Saturday, May 05, 2007

Dear God, It's All Gone











This is what my hometown of Greensburg, Kansas, used to look like. It's a small, rural town in Southwest Kansas. Last night, a tornado swept through the town, killing at least 7 people, and destroying most of the town. (News reports are saying 90% of the town was destroyed or damaged.) Every church in town, including the one my parents and my sisters' family attend, was either severely damaged or destroyed. The roof of the small hospital collapsed. My family lives a few miles north of town, and none of them were injured. Three family members worked in Greensburg, and will be dealing with the devastation left behind. Thankfully, several relatives and friends are known to be safe. I'm sure more details will come out as time passes. Right now, they are evacuating the entire town (what's left of it), for people's safety, and to enable safety and rescue efforts to go forward.

Please pray for Greensburg, Kansas, my family, and the surrounding community. How do you rebuild an entire town?

The picture below is just one of many showing the devastation. My heart is broken. (The link is to one of the latest articles.) Greensburg Tornado

7 comments:

John said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm confident in the strength of character and the determination of the people of Greenburg. You'll build a better place for tomorrow.
Bless you all, make us proud.

Admin said...

Thank you so much. It's hard to be sitting here in Ohio, knowing people I love and care about are going through such a difficult time. But knowing other people are praying really helps!

Zoe Brain said...

Joni, this is going to sound terribly cruel, and it breaks my heart to say it.
But people's lives are what's important. Everything else is ephemera, yes, even your favourite picture, or the photos of you at the prom. They are nothing compared with the lives of those you love.
Now please steel yourself before you look at these pictures. Apart from the grain silos, Greensburg isn't there any more. Even the water tower is gone.
Your folks are OK, and for that I'm terribly grateful. I just hope the loss of life is low.

Greensburg will be rebuilt, of that I'm sure. I'm Australian, but I know it takes far more than a mere monster tornado to keep Americans down. I know you've lost something from your childhood though, and words can't help there. Just know someone cares, Ok?

HUGS!!! Zoe

mythusmage said...

How do you rebuild a whole town? First you clear the ground.

Lots to do girl. Whatcha got to put in the Never Ending Soup? :)

@Zoe,

What are you doing commisserating with disaster victims when you've got an infection to get cleared up?

Anonymous said...

Everyone I've talked to here in central NY has the people of Greensburg on their minds and in their prayers. My mother is from KS, around Marion and Lawrence, so you have a a special place in our hearts.

I have no wisdom to impart. Sometimes we just have to go through things to get past them.
But I can tell you from personal experience that God will be with you as you go through them.

Eliza from Westernville

Admin said...

Thank you all for your prayers.

Banshee said...

In April of 1974, a tornado wiped out almost all of Xenia, Ohio. And it was rebuilt -- mostly within a couple years. What man has done, man can do.

What's more, Xenians afterwards made a specialty out of giving Red Cross help to other towns in need, and helping other towns prepare for disasters.

Our thoughts and prayers here in Ohio are with you. And I bet there are also some Xenians out there by now!