Monday, September 19, 2011

Why???


About fifteen years ago, Dr. James Dobson wrote a book called, "When God Doesn't Make Sense." For some reason, that title is sticking with me today. Because, truthfully, there are seasons in my life (and I'm sure you can concur) that God just doesn't make sense.

Personally, this is the situation. Just last night, I was taking a walk in the cool evening. The neighborhood was quiet, but there were occasional noises of children playing and neighbors in conversation. The smell of grill smoke floated through the air. There were people out strolling, walking their dogs, and jogging. It was a beautiful evening. I spent my walk reveling in the beauty of God's creation, humming a hymn we sang in church, and basking in the feeling of peace I had. I even reflected on the fact that it had been several days since the panic and worry had invaded my inner calm. I spent some of the walk thanking God for that gift. I had some moments of rejoicing in the new energy I've been feeling from my times of reading Scripture and prayer. It was a nice walk!

This morning...it all flooded back in. The cynic in me wanted to say, "So, God, is this how I'm rewarded for being thankful? This is what happens when I make strides in being faithful?"

The truth is, God hasn't changed. Just because my feelings have changed today, doesn't mean He isn't paying attention or that He doesn't care. That He has somehow taken a backseat in overseeing my life. It just means...it's time to battle again and rely on His grace and strength in a new way today.

Last week, a family lost a very small child in a horrible accident. I won't go into the details. But I do know that it wasn't God's doing. People would say, "He could have prevented it. He could have protected that little boy from the actions of another." Well, yes, He could have performed some type of miracle. But I also know there are effects caused by others' actions and there are things we all suffer because we live in a sinful world. Sometimes, the consequences are tragic. God is still there with that family, even in the midst of overwhelming grief.

Betrayal is not one of God's attributes. He never abandons us in the storm. He walks through it with us...even when we can't see or feel Him, He is there.

I may not understand Him or His ways...but He is still faithful.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8, 9

(I recommend reading the entire chapter. A lot of good stuff in there!)

.

No comments: