Thursday, September 08, 2011

He Puts a Song in My Heart

We sang this hymn this morning at church. The title is "How Can I Keep From Singing." If you're not familiar with it, the hymnal says it is a Quaker hymn attributed to Robert Lowry.

In light of yesterday's post, and another post from a few weeks ago, I was just amazed at how perfectly this hymn fit!

Verse 1: My life flows on in endless song; above earth's lamentation.
I hear the real though far-off hymn that hails a new creation.

Verse 2: Through all the tumult and the strife, I hear that music ringing;
It sounds and echoes in my soul; How can I keep from singing?

Verse 3: When tyrants tremble, sick with fear, and hear their death knells ringing;
When friends rejoice from far and near, how can I keep from singing?

Verse 4: The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart, a fountain ever springing.
All things are mine since I am his; how can I keep from singing?

Refrain: No storm can shake my inmost calm, while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing?

(I found a few other versions, but this is the one in our hymnal.)

So, no matter what storms or disappointments we face, since "Love is Lord of heaven and earth," how can we keep from singing???




*Note: If you want hear a beautiful choir edition, here is a YouTube link.


.

No comments: