Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Passage of Time

Tomorrow will mark quite an event in our household. Our oldest son, known to my blogger friends as "Harry," will celebrate his twelfth birthday. (I will officially be the mom of a pre-teen!)

It has been an all-weekend celebration for him. First, due to a weather-related change, the boys' school "buddy lunch" (lunch out with their parents) was rescheduled for yesterday. We took our boys out, and had a great time with them. Second, due to the same weather situation, their school carnival was last night. Again, we went as a family and enjoyed a great time with our boys (and over 300 other people!).

Last night, my husband took Harry out for a "guys' night." They spent the night at a motel and just had a good time spending dad/son time together. Both of them came home with great memories. I'm so thankful for that!

While they were gone, our younger son ("Clyde") and I made birthday preparations. We cleaned the house (Harry doesn't know he has a surprise guest coming tomorrow!). We made a huge birthday sign. We made several smaller signs to put in the windows. We blew up several balloons. We ordered the scrumptious Dairy Queen cake (the head cook gets a break from cake-making on this birthday!). And, we just generally tried to make things look as festive as possible, yet not like a "little kid" birthday.

Tomorrow, we will be in church together as a family. As it turns out, since he was asked to fill in for someone, Harry gets to be an altar server on his special day. After church, we'll pick up that yummy cake. And we'll have homemade lasagna for lunch, per Harry's request. Hopefully, the weather won't prevent our surprise guest from arriving in time for the ice cream cake. (It's Harry's buddy from school.)

Each birthday of my boys is extra special to me. As most of my readers know, there was a time when we didn't think we were going to be able to have children. Harry was our first answer to years of anguished prayer. Clyde was an extra blessing that we never expected. We are so thankful for both of them, and the joy they bring to our lives.

So tomorrow, Harry, we celebrate YOU, and the precious and wonderful gift you are to our lives. We are truly blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Harry!!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Harry's B-day card will be on its way. I have been very sick since Thursday and haven't been able to get it out yet. It is coming!

Pat said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration - wish I could stop by and wish a happy birthday to your precious son!
As a child, birthdays were never celebrated in my house - I believe in making a big deal out of your childs birthday - even your adult children - they are truly a gift from God.
Send me a piece of that cake!! LOL!

Mrs. Darling said...

Happy Birthday to your son.

Admin said...

Thank you all for the kind wishes. I will be sure to pass them along.

My kiddos are both sick today. Thankfully, no school due to the cold weather...still, I'd rather they not be sick and it was not SO COLD!