Thursday, February 07, 2008

Just Say "No!"

"If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me."
(Luke 9:23, NASB)

At our family's morning prayer time, my husband asked our two sons what the meaning of the above verse could be. "What does it mean to "deny" yourself?" They weren't sure. Then he asked them what it meant to deny someone. They said, "To say 'no' ."

And that is what it truly means. It means to say "no" to myself (desires, passions, lusts, flesh) and say "YES" to God!

It reminds me of an old song:
"I'll say 'yes, Lord, yes' to Your will and to Your ways.
I'll say 'yes, Lord, yes' -- I will trust You and obey.
When Your Spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I'll agree.
And my answer will be 'yes, Lord, yes' ".

Throughout Lent, I want to learn to be more ready with my "no" to self and my "yes" to God!



.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Joni...this needs to be me! I need to YES...and let it be!

Kren

Pat said...

I haven't thought of that song in a long time - now I will be singing it for days, I love it!
Thanks for sharing the great lesson your family shared - I feel I benefit from it as much as your family!