Monday, January 07, 2008

Life in General


Any of you who visit my blog on a regular, or even semi-regular, basis know that over the past couple of months, this blog has been pretty quiet. I have my occasional devotional-type post, and that's about it. I read others' blogs and am often amazed at how personal and transparent they are. I feel like I really get to "know" them. I pray for their requests. I laugh at their funny real-life anecdotes. I sympathize with their tough times. I rejoice in the good things they experience. But this blog...well, I've just kind of drawn back into myself for awhile. I feel like one of those hermit crabs, moving from shell to shell--never staying out long enough for anyone to get a good look at the "real" me. (Comparing myself to a crab could be a bit scary, too!) :o)

There is quite a bit I want to post here today, but I'm not sure how far I'll get. It just depends on how far I feel I can creep out of the latest shell, without feeling too vulnerable.

One thing I want to do is take a look back at last year. There were some great things that happened, as well as some tough challenges. Whenever I send out our family Christmas letter, I try to reflect on that year's happenings. I'll share some of them here.

January--we visited Kansas for my big 4-0 birthday. It was a wonderful time with my family. It was also the last time we saw Greensburg, KS.

Feb.--our oldest, "Harry", hit his 11th. He is certainly growing up too quickly! He's almost as tall as his mom now!

March--just a busy month.

April--our family was received into the Catholic Church. It was an incredibly special time for all of us. Our youngest, "Clyde", summed it up for all of us: "This is the best day of my life!"

May--my hometown of Greensburg, KS, was destroyed by a tornado. I cannot even begin to describe the emotions of that event. Thankfully, there is a constant effort to rebuild there. But it will never be the same again.

June--my hubby and I celebrated our 18th anniversary! Wow! We had a nice vacation time in Michigan that month. And my first great-nephew was born!

July--my "baby" turned 8 years old, and we had another quick trip to Michigan.

August--hubby began a new job, and my kids began attending our parish school (after 5 years of home schooling). Big changes, for sure.

September--I attended our niece's wedding in Colorado. That was a great experience, though too quick. September began our time of school projects, too.

October and November--school projects and activities. Trip to Michigan for Thanksgiving.

December--Advent activities, school programs and projects, Christmas preparations...whew. A nice visit from hubby's parents and his brother's family.

As I look back over the year, I see more good than bad. Many blessings. I am thankful for them all. To be honest, though, it's so much easier to focus on all the tough times we went through. Most of them were just daily "life" things, I guess (other than the tornado and family tragedies).
Still, they affected our lives in so many ways.

Right now, it seems as if I have a short list of things that are really weighing on my spirit. I'm not really ready to go into detail. But I think that has contributed to my reluctance to give a lot of personal details in my posts. I'm still trying to work through it all, both mentally and emotionally. Probably spiritually, too. When the time is right, there will be a post. But not just yet.

Well, that's enough rambling for today.

God bless you all, and thanks for your comments and patience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!