Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Cares of the World



It is with a heavy heart that I begin this post. It seems as if, in the past 24 hours or so, I have learned of so many situations in which people are in desperate need of God's intervention. I am one of those people who wants to "make it all better" for everyone. I want to fix their problems and keep them happy. The reality is, though, that I just can't do that.

There are friends with employment concerns. There are friends in intense emotional situations. There are acquaintances who are struggling with incredible physical needs. I am aware of a person who is in dire need of financial provision. Friends are dealing with loss of loved ones. We are dealing with the recent death of my husband's grandmother. One of my kids is learning the realities of "not everyone wants to be your friend," and it's hurtful.

I saw an article in today's paper that there are people in Haiti literally eating cookies made of dirt, just because they cannot afford the price of rice. The economy is unstable. Job losses are growing. The housing market is a mess. The whole race for the presidency is perplexing and, to be honest, annoying.

All of it can really weigh me down...and it has.

How thankful I am, though, that our heavenly Father is one who cares for every burden we carry. When we kneel and offer it at His feet, we can leave it there.

I am reminded of the words to the old hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

"What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged, take it to the Lord in prayer:
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness, take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge; take it to the Lord in prayer:
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He'll take and shield thee; thou wilt find a solace there."

I'm so thankful that I don't have to let it all weigh me down.
I just need to take it to the Lord in prayer.
Post a Comment