Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Cares of the World



It is with a heavy heart that I begin this post. It seems as if, in the past 24 hours or so, I have learned of so many situations in which people are in desperate need of God's intervention. I am one of those people who wants to "make it all better" for everyone. I want to fix their problems and keep them happy. The reality is, though, that I just can't do that.

There are friends with employment concerns. There are friends in intense emotional situations. There are acquaintances who are struggling with incredible physical needs. I am aware of a person who is in dire need of financial provision. Friends are dealing with loss of loved ones. We are dealing with the recent death of my husband's grandmother. One of my kids is learning the realities of "not everyone wants to be your friend," and it's hurtful.

I saw an article in today's paper that there are people in Haiti literally eating cookies made of dirt, just because they cannot afford the price of rice. The economy is unstable. Job losses are growing. The housing market is a mess. The whole race for the presidency is perplexing and, to be honest, annoying.

All of it can really weigh me down...and it has.

How thankful I am, though, that our heavenly Father is one who cares for every burden we carry. When we kneel and offer it at His feet, we can leave it there.

I am reminded of the words to the old hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

"What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged, take it to the Lord in prayer:
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness, take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge; take it to the Lord in prayer:
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He'll take and shield thee; thou wilt find a solace there."

I'm so thankful that I don't have to let it all weigh me down.
I just need to take it to the Lord in prayer.

9 comments:

Pat said...

Like you, I would love to fix the problems of so many hurting people, but like you said, we are not able. But, we can take it to the Lord in prayer and lay it at His feet. What hope wehave in Him!

Hidden One said...

*humming away

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's harder to watch the suffering of others than it is to endure it ourselves.

The thing that really got me about this post was the part about the child learning that not everyone wants to be your friend. What heartache it is to watch any child, especially one's own, have to go through that.

It's too bad, too, because the kids are right when they want to reach out and be everyone's friend. That's more Christlike than what the world does to them.

Admin said...

That is so true, Sheepdog. (Welcome back, by the way!!) :o)

It is especially difficult in our situation, because we have moved several times. Our kids have had a difficult time building lasting friendships. So much so, that our oldest holds himself back in most situations, afraid to make an effort. When he actually steps forward and tries, and is rejected, it breaks my heart.

Another situation that is weighing on me is the relative of one of our military men who was killed in Iraq. His birthday is approaching, as well as the anniversary of his death. The family is struggling.

"How beautiful heaven must be..." I can't wait until the time of "no more sorrow, no more tears..."

Anonymous said...

When someone dies young or not of natural causes, it's hard to make sense of it; It's hard to maintain faith. I don't know how people do it.

There's a special place in my heart for soldiers, police officers and firefighters. They sacrifice so much so we can be safe and free.

I hope your boy doesn't lose sight of how precious he is.... That kind of rejection can make a child doubt. Jesus reached out and was rejected, too - but it certainly didn't mean He was unworthy!

Jada's Gigi said...

Yes, so much to pray for..so much to turn to HIM for

Heidi Grether said...

A mentor taught me to pray and put the Cross of Jesus Christ between me and all these burdens. He said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Think of the world then. No TV to burden us down with all the troubles all around the world.

He talks about our own walk, walking with Him. I believe it is the circle He places around us that He wants us to reach out to.

If every Christian loved and reached out to the circle of people He put around them, most needs would get met.

No matter who wins the presidency, Jesus Christ still sits upon the throne. His name and power is above all names.

Gotta find joy everyday. Laugh and love along with having mercy and compassion.

Deb said...

awesome post Joni --we need to always remind ourselves that God is bigger than any problem or situation - and we just need to (with thanksgiving!) make our requests known to Him. He takes care of the details!

Admin said...

Thanks for dropping by, Deb!

And thanks for the reminder to put it in His hands.