Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Just Plain Ol' Me

I go through these seasons in life. More like some type of cycle. For awhile, I can be fine with who I am and what I look like. I mean, I'm stuck with "me", so I just figure I should make the best of it, right?

Of course, I realize there are always things that need improvement. I'm talking mostly spiritual things, attitudes, habits...that type of thing.

But I go through these seasons where I feel like I've felt most of my life: I'm just plain ol' me. I mean that literally. I have that "girl from a Kansas farm" look. The reddish hair and freckles. A little Dorothy (of Wizard of Oz fame), a little Laura (of Little House on the Prairie fame), and a little Elizabeth (of Waltons fame)--all mixed together. [Don't get me wrong. I think they all--Judy Garland, Melissa Gilbert, and Kami Cotler-- grew up to be beautiful women!]



Of course, that look has changed over the years. Age and time are that way. I still have an all-American girl type look, though. Definitely not the beauty queen type.

And no matter where I have lived (Kansas, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio) I have at least 3-5 "You look just like..." stories for each location. I look like someone's cousin, sister, friend, niece, granddaughter...just one of those faces that looks like I should be in "that" family. (Whatever family that is!)

The beautiful thing about all this, though? The Bible says God has His seal on me. "He has also put His seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts..." (2 Corinthians 1:22)

In ancient times, a seal was a mark of identity. This verse shows that I have God's signature on me. The stamp that shows I belong to Him. Not only do I belong to Him, He has also placed His Spirit in my heart. That is a mind-boggling concept.

So even though my mirror tells me I will never be a "glamour girl", I can say with pride, "I belong to Him." As an earlier post reminds me:

God made me special, and He loves me very much! Freckles and all!


4 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

yes, I'm sure you have His mark upon you....He did make you special...nice thing about it...I'll bet you look a lot like Him too...:)

Paula said...

Joni,
I really like this post!!

And thanks for your sweet notes on my blog. Such an encouragement.

Admin said...

Thank you both for your kind comments. I guess we all have some of those days...mine just seem to occur more often than I'd like.

Keeping It Real said...

I love your spirit, Joni. Wish I could be more like you, but I'm always trying to change something about myself. Inwardly, I think I'm fine and wouldn't change much about my personality. But outwardly, well, I don't know where to start.