Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Comeback King

Since I live in the Cleveland area, the big news right now is that the Cleveland Cavaliers are in the NBA Finals. They start their series versus the San Antonio Spurs tomorrow night. The star of the Cavs' team is LeBron James. He has earned the nickname "King of the Court." The media, Cavs' promo people, and companies he endorses have played up the name "King James" in many different ways. Even to the extent that some Christians have been offended by the use of "Christian" phrases comparing LeBron to Christ.


I have to admit: LeBron is good. Michael Jordan good? I'm not sure. LeBron is still young. We'll just have to wait and see.

Is he the king? Well, there's debate over whether he is really the "king" of the basketball court. I guess the next couple of weeks will have to determine how high his status can climb.

In some terms, he is a comeback king, he and his Cavs. They were down 2-0 to the Detroit Pistons (our fave team!), yet came back to win the Eastern Conference Finals. That's a big comeback in sports circles.

I found this interesting tidbit, though. In 2001, Sports Illustrated magazine featured an article on the greatest comebacks in history. And you know what? The number one comeback they selected had nothing to do with basketball...or football...or volleyball...or soccer... The number one comeback they chose: "Jesus Christ, 33 A.D. Defies critics and stuns the Romans with His resurrection."

Wow!

As much as I think it would be a thrill to meet LeBron, or to even see him play in person, there is a greater King whose presence I can enjoy every day. "Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory." (Psalm 24:10)

The book of Revelation gives an awesome description of Christ in His glory:

"Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many (not just one!) crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called the Word of God...And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." (Revelation 19:11-13, 16)

"King" LeBron will have his glory days of basketball. He will win some and lose some. He will receive accolades. But in the end, he will retire from the game and be remembered by the history books, just like all the other great sports heroes. I would much rather worship at the throne of the King who reigns forever!

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." (I Timothy 1:17)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, dear!

Anonymous said...

Oh Joni, I am so dissapointed...please tell me you've not converted to a Cavs fan...that is so NOT allowed. Yes, I admit they smoked my Deeeeetroit Pistons but say it's not so...What about your husband? He better not have turned his back. LOL

Kren

Anonymous said...

Oh, I guess if I would have not of speed read your post, I would have noticed that your loyalty is still the Deeeeetroit!

I do realize that basketball is not what this post was about! I just wanted to have a little fun.

I love the scripture that you listed. This has been a rough week for me and that really encouraged me...

Admin said...

Not to worry, not to worry. We only cheer for the Cavs when they don't play the Pistons! (Same goes with Ohio State and Michigan!) :o)

Keeping It Real said...

Sorry, Joni. Spurs are up by one, but it's still anybody's championship at this point. ... BTW, thanks for sending me your friend's link. I'm going to check it out now. (You'll notice I changed my moniker.)