Monday, October 23, 2006

Travelin' Music

As anyone who has read my recent posts already knows, I've been struggling along this journey lately. If you've read the beginning posts, you'll know why. Our family is in a time of transition. As my friend Paula M. would say, "God is wrecking our boxes." It's time to move on to something new.

Something most of you don't know about me is that, next to God, my husband, kids, family, and close friendships, my first love is music. I've been playing piano since I was a little shaver. :o) I play a few other musical instruments, too. I love to sing. One of the joys of my life has been singing praises to God, and leading others to learn to worship Him--beyond the music--from their innermost beings.

I haven't had much music in my heart lately. I've been too wrapped up in "life" issues. My mind and heart have been full of other things. I haven't been focused on worship.

But today...today, my friends...today was different. I sat down at the piano to play through some songs we learned in church recently. Then, before I knew it, God was giving me a new song. It was like a fresh spring of water bubbling out of me. Something new from God's heart to mine, to give me new words to worship Him. I really can't describe it. Words fail to explain the joy.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes
down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation
or shadow of turning." James 1:17

Thank You, Father, for this wonderful gift You gave me today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.....made my day too!

Gina said...

He is faithful :)

Tea with Tiffany said...

Joni!

I know the feeling and the joy!So thankful to God for his gift to you. I've had times where God has given me a new song. I've sang words that already had a melody, like I knew it, but I didn't. God gave me the song. Nothing is sweeter. I love when God shows up in the midst of our chaotic lives and sings over us. We hear it and feel it. There is nothing that compares.

I, too, love music and to sing. Often times, my friends have to remind me when I'm down to praise the Lord, put on a CD and sing to Him. That is lifegiving and brightens my day.

Psalm 95:1-2 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us hout to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Here I am again. In my quiet time today I read some Psalms.

Psalm 96 and 98 both start out with this sentence:

Sing to the LORD a new song!

If we look up the word "sing", we would be overwhelmed with the amount of times God mentions singing. It's part of God's heart, no doubt.

Bless YOU!

Admin said...

Marsh~
Thanks for your love and encouragement, sis. It always makes my day when I see a comment from you on my blog!

Gina~
Thanks for dropping by to visit. I love your blogs!

Tiffany~
Thank you for the words of encouragement. God is good!

Kimber said...

Love this post girl - I can so relate - I Love Love Love to sing (also sort of play the piano)....there is nothing that refreshes my soul than spending time worshipping - and it is a precious gift when he puts a new song in my heart.

May He give you many more new songs :) And may you feel His love as you worship Him with all of your heart.

Jada's Gigi said...

Tears sprang to my eyes when reading this....He is the song...and He is so incredibly gracious to sing it in our hearts...I'm so glad He restored your soul a bit...the Song is still there...