Monday, October 16, 2006

Measuring Up

I have spent my life worshipping idols.

GASP! What did I just say?

Okay. Take a deep breath. It's not what you think!

All my life, I have looked at someone who is: older, wiser, prettier, wittier, more spiritual, more popular...you name it...I have looked at that "someone" and idolized them. Not in that, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" kind of idolatry. It was more like a, "I'll never be able to be as.....(wise, pretty, witty, spiritual, popular)...as he/she is. They are just too (wise, pretty, witty, spiritual, popular). I could never measure up to that!"

You know the type, right? That person that never seems to run out of wise advice. The woman who never has a hair out of place, no matter how many children are clinging to her skirts (jeans?). The person who always has a funny line to lighten the mood. The one who seems to be friends with just everybody they meet.

The hardest to deal with, though, is the person who always has the appropriate Scripture for every situation. They can quote it in every version ever translated from the Greek, Hebrew, Latin...and can probably quote it in those languages, too! Because they have studied the original, and know exactly what every nuance of every word is. They are God's best friend. Even in the midst of terrible, fiery trials, they keep their testimony. A smile on their lips. A prayer in their thoughts. They even have time to feed the hungry and clothe the naked. They lay hands on the sick, and see them healed. They are super Christian.

These are the people I have measured myself against since I was a child.

And after my last post, I have been dealing with a terrible case of "I'm-the-dirtiest-rottenest-sinner-who-ever-walked-this-planet-how-can-God-love-and-forgive-me"?
It has been a rough week of self condemnation.

A few days ago, though, I read this verse again. God is not asking me to measure up to all those people I "idolized" for so long. He has a completely different system of measurement. His yardstick doesn't work the same way mine does!

With this passage of Scripture, I close this post. Reflect on it. Meditate on it (roll it over in your heart and mind). I hope it refreshes you as much as it has me.

"With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the High God? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:6-8

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...
Post a Comment