A few months ago, a great deal on plane tickets showed up in my email. I decided this was my opportunity to visit my sister and her family in Colorado. Anyone who knows me at all knows trips are a major stressor for me. And traveling in the winter? Not me! But this was a too-good-to-pass-up deal. I made up my mind that I was going to do this! Long story short is that I made the trip and had a wonderful time. However, I learned some lessons that definitely translate to the bigger picture of life!
1. If you have indigestion the night before your flight leaves to go back home, it may not be indigestion.
2. If you have to have stomach "flu," have it at your sister's home rather than in an airplane or airport.
3. Sisters are great nurses.
4. If you have the opportunity to visit family--do it. Don't put it off. The memories far outweigh the stress.
5. Colorado is just as beautiful in the winter as it is in the summer.
6. Great nieces and nephews are just as much fun as nieces and nephews.
7. Little-kid giggles never grow old.
8. Watching your nieces raise their own kids is so cool.
9. Sister time is waaay underrated. (As is seeing them with their grandkids.)
10. The imagination of young children is a wonderful thing.
11. No matter how old you are, if a 1 yr. old offers you invisible food in a pot, and tells you it is "hot," you will blow on it, just to see the joy on his face.
12. "Bump and Jumps" are a great invention.
13. Gelato may have been made in Italy, but it was invented in heaven.
14. A Colorado mug full of chocolate candy is always a great birthday gift!
15. Americans are some of the most rude people on the planet.
16. Americans are some of the most kind, generous, and helpful people on the planet.
17. America's landscape is amazing.
18. Free pretzels from an airline may get tiresome after a few hours, but at least it's food!
19. Auntie Anne's across the hall from your flight's gate is a definite gift from God when you've only had free soda and juice for several hours.
21. Racing across an airport in record time, only to discover the doors are closed and you have to wait two hours for the next flight...is sometimes a blessing. You have time to eat a pretzel. :)
22. People on moving walkways and in terminal hallways should not text/talk on said walkways or in the middle of said hallways, just in case someone is racing across the airport in record time.
23. A monorail train can hold a lot of people, especially if several flights have gate changes.
24. A pink hoodie can be a great reward for a weary traveler. (Especially when it's on sale!)
25. Just because a sandwich costs $10.00 and has a fancy name, doesn't necessarily mean it is tasty or delicious.
26. Being away from your husband and sons for a week is tough!
27. Being greeted at the airport when you've been gone a week is WONDERFUL.
28. Missing a major snowstorm is a great idea. I definitely recommend it.
29. People-watching is either the greatest or most agonizing thing ever. I haven't reached a conclusion.
20. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
Happy weekend, everyone!