Thursday, October 31, 2013

Another Chapter

Just when you think you have life all figured out...God will laugh at your plans and change them!  Doesn't it seem that way at times?

We began the school year with some exciting events.

- Our oldest son entered his senior year in high school.  He began the college search in earnest.  We had senior pictures taken.  We're working on graduation announcements.  Exciting stuff!

- Our younger son began his freshman year in high school.  There was a particular Catholic high school he wanted to attend.  We couldn't afford it, but he was able to get an amazing scholarship.  His grades, essays, and placement tests paid off.  We bought the required uniform shirts.  He was off to high school.

However, things didn't work out quite the way we thought they would.  Within a few weeks, it became obvious our youngest wasn't keeping up.  Without going into great detail, we had to pull him out.

But this wasn't in the plan, God!

I home schooled both of our boys until about 6 years ago.  That chapter in my life was over.  At least, that's what I thought.

Over the past two weeks, I have been scrambling to get together his curriculum.  And you know what?  God has been amazing me!  His religion book is from an excellent series.  He was given this book a few months ago--free!  His Latin, geometry, English literature and composition, and biology books?  All borrowed from a friend who home schooled her kids through high school--free!  I did order history curriculum and a religion workbook.   When there were big back-to-school sales in July, I purchased a whole tote-load of supplies--plenty extra for home schooling, even though I had no idea I would need them.  About a month ago, a friend GAVE me an electric piano.  I didn't know what I would use it for, but did ask some of my piano students.  None of them needed it.  Well, now son-youngest can use it to practice his piano lessons, with head phones.  Can anyone say:  Wow!?

In the midst of all this, I have had encouragement from so many people.  I have just been overwhelmed with gratitude for all the friends who have rallied around us!  I have heard the words "If you need ANYTHING, just call me!" more times than I can count.  Even more wonderful have been the words, "You can do this.  I'm praying for you!"  I am humbled and amazed.

However, there have been the not-so-good moments as well.  There are those who look at me with great skepticism, and the questions start firing:  Are you sure this is what you want to do?  Will he have the requirements he needs to finish high school?  Will he be socialized?  You do know this is far different than home schooling in elementary school, right?  Will he have enough physical activity?

It's enough to totally demolish my self-confidence in my ability to teach my son.  I try to remind myself:  This is what is best for my son.  I was valedictorian of my senior class.  I have a B.A.  I know the requirements and can teach them. He is very involved in our church and has friends.  I know he's in high school. How much physical activity do these people think he was getting at his high school, between school and homework???  I will push him out the door and force him to exercise!  You think I want to be shut in the house with him 24/7?  :o)


I will do this.  I CAN do this.  God is my strength!

We're writing a new chapter in the Johnson saga.

But that's okay.  God already knows how the story turns out!

No comments: