Friday, August 10, 2012

Seasons of Life

I am experiencing my annual "the-kids-are-going-back-to-school-soon-and-I'm-absolutely-dreading-it-but-the-summer-has-been-crazy-and-hectic-and-I'm-ready-to-go-back-to-a-regular-schedule" frame of mind. Can you relate?  (Please say yes!)

I always look forward to the end of the school year.  I want to spend every possible moment with my boys.  I think of all kinds of fun things we can do together.  Suddenly, they're actually home for the summer, and I still have to do laundry, clean house, and make meals.  Then they start the "I'm bored" syndrome, and the real fun begins.

Don't get me wrong, we have made some great memories this summer.  We spent part of Memorial Day weekend playing "tourists" in Cleveland.  We also went to a mini golf park.  We spent Memorial Day at the Cleveland Zoo.  Our oldest son went to a great youth conference.  Our church celebrated the Feast of the Sacred Heart (our patronal feast) with a special Mass, dinner, and capped it off with a street rally.  We went to visit my family in Kansas.  We went to Michigan to visit my husband's family, for his dad's 70th birthday.  We had a special celebration for our youngest son's 13th birthday.  My husband and I went to Steubenville for the Defending the Faith Conference at Franciscan University.


Visit to Kansas

There is a relative comfort in the routine of a school year, though.  I used to home school.  The beginning of a school year was a bit daunting.  Was I teaching them everything they needed to know?  Would they buckle down and do their work without being hounded?  Would I ever get my laundry done?

Now, there is the frantic feeling of, "Do they have their school supplies?  Do they have enough clothes?  Can I stand to be away from them for so many hours?"

Then there is the whole issue of both my kids being teens.  Our oldest is learning to drive.  Our youngest is beginning his big growth spurt.  And I'm getting shorter and shorter!

Not only that, though, there are the concerns about the world in which my boys are growing up.  The issue of sexuality is so blatant and "in your face" with the media and the way kids talk and dress.  It sure keeps me on my knees!

Life is just zipping by!

No comments: