Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The Real Serenity Prayer


I have heard the Serenity Prayer over and over. I have seen it on greeting cards, plaques, mugs, and a multitude of other gift items. (I used to work in a Christian bookstore...I've seen it everywhere!) Last night, I came across the entire prayer, which I had never seen before. I hope it blesses you as much as it blessed me!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace. Taking as Jesus did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him for ever in the next."
~Reinhold Niebuhr

Now THAT is a serenity prayer!

Happy Tuesday, friends!

3 comments:

Sheepdog said...

Thank you for posting that! I heard the whole thing for the first time only a few weeks ago and am glad to see it all posted.

Blessings each day said...

My mom belonged to AA and I'm hoping she had the whole prayer, but the shorter version is all I have ever seen. She had it on bookmarks and plates and keychains.

Thank you so mcuh for sharing it!

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Pat said...

Amen!!