Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historical Significance

No matter what your political "leanings" may be, today was a day for the history books. It took almost 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation for our country to officially recognize that segregation was wrong, wrong, wrong. Just over 40 years after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made his famous "I Have a Dream" speech, we have the inauguration of our first black president. I am amazed at this, and, quite honestly, thrilled that it happened in my lifetime.


I am concerned with many of the positions President Obama has taken on life issues, with particular regard to abortion. However, I do not believe this is the end of our country, as some ultra-conservatives have espoused. Am I concerned? Of course. Do I disagree with many of the stands he takes on certain issues? Definitely. Do I think God can change the course of things??? Absolutely!

I DO believe that we should be praying for our president, his family, our new vice-president and his family, the new cabinet, the new Congress, and for all in leadership in our country, states, and communities. The Scriptures tell us plainly that we should pray for all in leadership. Let us do so, surrounding this history-making president with our supplications on his behalf.

God bless you, Mr. President. May His presence go before you. May His Spirit guide you in every decision you make. May His protecting hand be upon you. And may we, His people, pledge to uphold you in prayer each and every day of your presidency. Amen.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Your last paragraph says it all. We must pray - it's the only thing that changes things!