Thursday, November 08, 2007

Continuing the Journey, Part 3


The Bible is clear that there will be a day of judgment. It will be the day when our deeds will come under the microscope, and judged for what they truly are: gold...or straw (see I Corinthians 3:5-17).

"...Each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is." v. 13).

We will be held accountable for our actions. God will "test by fire" how we built our own lives, and how we are helping build others' lives. (See also Romans 2:1-16)

Yet while this is true, I see another aspect of judgment in the Bible. It is an ongoing, daily "judgment". It is what David wrote about in Psalm 139:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." (vs. 23-24)

If we are truly continuing on the journey with Christ, we need to have Him examine us each and every day--and often, many times throughout the day. Are my works pleasing in His sight? Am I walking in the way of the Lord? Was this day worthy of a "well done", or was it a "wood, hay and straw" day?

I'm not talking about walking in eternal condemnation. This is actually a life of freedom! Think about it. If we are allowing the Lord to search us, which leads us to repentance, it allows us to draw even nearer to Him--to become more and more like Him each moment of the day. That doesn't sound condemning to me! It sounds like freedom from self and sin!

May we each be able to echo the words of Paul:

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."
(II Timothy 4:6-8)

Let us run worthy of the One who called us on the journey!



*all Scripture quotations from the NKJV


2 comments:

Threat Assessment & Response Canada said...

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." (vs. 23-24)

I like that one. It's helpful. If we ask God to search us and we listen, then we are prevented from going down some terribly destructive paths.

Heidi Grether said...

I just try to do everything out of love. He did. I have spent too many years acting out of anything but love.