Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Want to Be a Brick

I don't think any kid ever wrote a "what I want to be when I grow up" school report entitled, "I Want to Be a Brick". At least I hope not!

Read this Scripture, though.

"You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices to God through Jesus Christ." (I Peter 2:5)

We are all part of this "building" God is making. With Christ as the Head, we are all part.

Right now, I'm praying about what my part in the local body of believers should be. Where do I fit in? What place does God want me to step into? Where can He best use the gifts He has given me?

I can't just warm a pew. It's not part of the deal. If a brick or stone decides to jump out of place in the wall of a building, there can be some serious consequences! If I decide, as one of the "bricks" in this building called the Church, to just step aside and let everyone else fill the places of ministry, there can also be some serious consequences. Looking at it another way, too, I also can't decide that someone else doesn't belong. "Not the right color brick for my building! Nope. Not the right shape to fit in that spot you want to fill." Wrong!

First of all, I'm not the Builder. Secondly, I need those other bricks to hold me in place, too!

Anyway, back to me being a brick.

I like the passage in I Corinthians 12 that talks about how important each member of the Body is. It says we are all necessary! (See v. 22.) Even if no one ever notices the things I'm doing, I'm needed!

Just something to roll around in your mind...where do you fit in the Body?

"For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ." (I Corinthians 12:12)

Where does
this brick fit into Your master plan, Lord???

5 comments:

Becky said...

this is a very thought-provoking post. it made me think. thank you.

Jada's Gigi said...

Amen! each of us is vital and necessary to the body of Christ and you are so right that we cannot chose which bricks are in the building either...my hubby used to preach something along these lines..I remember he said every brick directly effects something like 6 or 8 bricks around them...I love reminding my brothers and sisters that they are so very valuable to me and to the body of Christ...thank you for this reminder too...

Admin said...

Becky,
Thanks for visiting. I love having new "commenters"!

Cheryl,
Thanks for your thoughts. I know you've taken a break from blogging. I appreciate you stopping by, and giving such great thoughts.

Anonymous said...

What is a "spiritual sacrifice?"

Anonymous said...

That's a very good question, "anonymous". Let me get back to you on that.