Thursday, March 29, 2007

True Freedom

Lent is almost over. Yet the journey is just beginning. For as I look back at what God has been speaking to me during this time, and the things He wants to do, I know this will not end at Easter!

I've been reading a book by Fenelon, called Let Go. He was an archbishop in France during the 17th century. The book is actually a collection of letters he wrote to believers: to encourage them, teach them, admonish them, exhort them, etc. They are very challenging, and definitely not for speed reading. There are 40 letters, so it worked out well for Lenten reading. I'd like to share a passage from Letter 30. I thought these were powerful words.

"Happy is he who is a free man, but only the Son of God can make us really free. He can do it by breaking every fetter. And how does He do that? By that sword that divides husband and wife, father and son, brother and sister. There is not a person in the world who can be allowed to hinder us from doing the will of God. If we allow the world to hinder us, then our professed freedom is only a word. And we will be as easily captured as a bird whose leg is tied to the ground. He might seem to be free. If the string is delicate enough, you might not even see it. And if it is long enough, the bird might be able to do a little flying. But, nevertheless, he is a prisoner. I hope you see what I am trying to say. Because the freedom that I covet for you is far more valuable than all you are fearful of losing."

There is more, but I think you see where he is going. Christ alone can give us the true freedom we seek. But it has to be on His terms, not our own. It has to be His way, and not the way others would say we should take. We have to be willing to lose all for the sake of Christ's freedom.

Oh, Lord, may there be no strings of the world, well-meaning friends, family, or self, that keep me from the true freedom you desire for me.

"Then Jesus said to the twelve, 'Do you also want to go away?' But Simon Peter answered Him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' "


He whom the Son sets free is free indeed!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I realize the power of our Lord's words, I am thankful that where you are concerned I have not had to choose between faithfulness too my Lord and pleasing my wife. You make it so much easier to follow the Lord. For you encourage me in it. Even when I am bound by other things, you help bring me back to the One who truly sets me free.

Thanks for sharing this post. It's almost Easter, and we're almost in!!!

Love you,
Keith

Hidden One said...

Lent's almost over...:(

Easter's almost here...:D:D:D

Thank you for this post.

Jada's Gigi said...

Fenelon is awesome!