Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Voice for the Little Ones

Tomorrow is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. It is a day we should never forget. It is a day for us to take a stand for what is true, right, and just. It is a reminder that there are those among us who cannot speak for themselves--and so we must speak up for them.

I have been acquainted with a few situations regarding abortion. In one case, a coworker opted for abortion in order to keep her boyfriend. In another case, a sister in the Lord revealed a past secret in order to try saving another baby's life. I know some young women who have bravely carried a child nine months, only to give that child to a childless couple. Or, they made the decision to raise the child, no matter what society said. Those young women are my heroes. I know several couples who are the grateful parents of adopted children. In every one of these situations, the reality of the sanctity of life has become even clearer to me.

In the psalms, it is written, "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward." (Ps. 127:3) To me, this speaks volumes about the tragedy of abortion. We are losing the lives of precious little ones. But also, as this verse implies, we are losing our heritage! That is so grievous to me.

My dear friends, let us remember to pray for the young women who face the decision of life v. death every day. Let us not judge them, but pray for God to bring caring, loving individuals into their lives (maybe even us?) to point them in the right direction. Let us pray for those who have already chosen abortion. They need God's healing touch. Let us pray for the boyfriends, husbands, etc. Let us pray for the grandparents. Let us pray for the doctors and nurses who work in the clinics. Let us pray for our heritage: those little ones whose lives are at stake.

"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live..." (Deuteronomy 30:19)

3 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

Amen!

BekABoo said...

I have known of a few girls in college who had abortions. In a way I pity them, having their lives used as fodder for gossip mills, but the fact that it got around so much means they weren't exactly descreet. I guess it is ultimatly a good thing, in a way, that it is still stigmatized so badly. With all the options available to us nowadays (and it is very easy on a college campus to get access to various means of contraception), abortion is simply an extreme and selfish way to handle an 'unintended' pregnancy (i heard that on the news this week and like it better than 'accidental' or 'unplanned,' I think). On the other side, I think God has a reason in everything and doesn't make mistakes. I have known some very wonderful people, very dear to my heart, who are the result of an 'unintended' pregnancy.
Let us also pray for our leaders, that they continue down a path that protects our children.

Patrick said...

Joni,

I hope you will not mind me leaving a comment to one of your commenters here.

Bekaboo,

I am troubled by a couple of things in your comment. Please don't read this as harsh criticism. Rather, I offer it for further reflection.

You said, "With all the options available to us nowadays (and it is very easy on a college campus to get access to various means of contraception), abortion is simply an extreme and selfish way to handle an 'unintended' pregnancy"

I have a feeling you didn't mean to convey this, but the statement on the surface gives the impression that sexual immorality is all right as long as one takes steps to guard against pregnancy. I hope you agree with me that it is not true. "Unintended pregnancy" is not the reason to be chaste. Instead, we are called to holiness and so chastity has its own reward.

Secondly, I must disagree with you regarding contraception. It is a pretty involved discussion, but if one studies the history and philosophy surrounding contraception, he will find they are the very same arguments used to justify abortion. I realize this is a controversial topic, but I really feel it needs to be addressed. Christians only began to be acceptable of contraception in the 1930's. Before that time every denomination forbid it. Even today, many Christians are still opposed to it. I would encourage you to rethink that position.

Again, I do not intend to be offensive, but I really felt I needed to comment. Please receive my comments in charity and feel to respond.