Monday, January 15, 2007

Thoughts from a 40-Year Old Pilgrim

Yes, it's true. The big birthday has come and gone. I still don't feel old enough to be 40. How is that possible??? But, it is true. I even have the gray hair to prove it!

Our trip to see my family turned out really wonderful. The weather was rainy the first day, but sunny and crisp for the second day of travel. My sister Marsha, who lives in Colorado, was able to come to Kansas for the week as well. She and her husband braved some treacherous weather to make the trip!

While in Kansas, I was able to spend time visiting with my parents. On the 8th, my parents watched our kids while we joined my sisters and their spouses, as well as a couple of nieces and a nephew, at my oldest sister's home to watch Ohio State in their "big" championship game. The game was a big disappointment, but we had a great time together.

The next night, we took in a high school basketball game that was quite interesting. The other team's crowd and coaches were the type that think a high school game is going to tip the balance of the universe. They yelled at the referees. They stomped. They threatened (after the game). A couple of their players got thrown out for throwing punches. Yikes. Definitely not your typical small-town game. At least not how I remember them. Of course, I'm 40 now, so I suppose my memory is a little in question. Ha!

For my birthday, my sisters and their spouses all gathered, as well as the nieces and nephew who could be there. They surprised me, and showered me with a good time, gifts, cards from friends, and some quite yummy cake!

Our trip home was a bit difficult, due to the big ice storm. We stayed at a hotel in the St. Louis area, which was filled with people from the area whose homes had no power/heat. We were thankful for the Lord's protection, as we really had no big problems. We continue to pray for those who are suffering from the storm's effects.

Thanks again to everyone (especially my wonderful, wonderful husband!) who made my birthday so special. I am a very blessed woman to have such a great husband, kids, sisters, nieces, nephews, parents, friends, relatives, and in-laws.
______________________

And so here I am...all 40 and everything. I suppose I should have some great words of wisdom to pass along to those who aren't as far along on the pathway of life. To be honest, though, I don't feel that wise!

A few things I have learned, though:

--Cherish your family and friends. They are the ones who stick with you through the tough times as well as rejoicing with you in your good times.

--If you are married, shower your husband with the love he deserves. You have a long road to travel together. If you're not married yet, pray for God to send you a man (or woman!) who will love you and walk the road, no matter how bumpy it gets.

--Let your kids be kids. Don't rush them into being grown up too soon. The rest of the world is doing enough of that already.

--Give God every day of your life. I mean, each day, offer yourself and that day to Him anew, and ask Him to help you make the most of that day, moment by moment.

Well, I guess that's not too much wisdom. So, I'd like to ask my readers to pass along some of your own words of wisdom. Some of you are older than me; others, younger. But we all have something to share. I look forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Happy Birthday Joni :) I am so glad that you had a great time with your fam! It sounds like you had an awesome time :) And I pray that this next year and chapter of your life is filled with joy...may the season of singing truly begin and carry you through the next several chapters of your life :)

I loved your words of wisdom...especially the finding someone to love you "no matter how bumpy it gets"...and to not push your kids to grow up....

The big 4-0 is not that far away, and I don't feel that wise either...all I can say is that I am trying to learn to look at my life through "Heaven's eyes" - no matter what my age :)

Jada's Gigi said...

Happy Birthday!! sounds like you had a wonderufl time. I think perhaps you are wise enough...your words of wisdom just about cover it all...:)