Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Journey Struggles

Over the past few weeks, I have been reading a forum which deals with issues in the church with which we were formerly affiliated. I won't go into detail. What I will say though, is that there are a lot of hurting people out there who need your prayers.

What does this have to do with me personally? A lot of those people are my friends, and brothers and sisters in Christ.

There is this "thing" inside me that can't stand it when those I care about are mistreated, lied to, or in some other way wronged. It's that part of me that wants vengeance. Wow. Did I use that word? But it's true. I want the erring party to repent, yes. But I also want to see them do some groveling and major "making of things right". And that thing inside me is like a mother bear protecting her young: you hurt someone I love, and I will attack!

Shocking, isn't it? Most people who know me think I'm this gentle, meek person. I've been accused of being a "goody two shoes". If they could see my heart, they would know differently. Because the attack I was speaking of doesn't usually come out where others can see it. It's an anger I bottle up inside. When my little fingers want to spew it out on the forum, the Holy Spirit just won't let me. But it's still in there. And it is like cancer to my soul.

I am angry and hurt that so many people I love have been hurt. And I want to see those who did these things hurt, too.

But a post on that forum reminded me of these words:

"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors...For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:12, 14)

Ouch. And there isn't even a clause in there that says, "If they want to be forgiven." Or, "If they ask your forgiveness."

The Amish families in Pennsylvania have shown this truth in such a remarkable way. The man who brutally murdered and injured their daughters is dead. His family is living with the results of his actions. But are the Amish looking for some way to extract retribution? Are they trying to get their "just due" from the man's family? Quite the opposite. They are offering love, forgiveness, and prayer for that man's family. Incredible.

Lord, please teach me to share the forgiveness You have so freely given. Help me to let You be the judge. Teach me to show Your love through letting go of the wrongs.

I close with my confession:

Most merciful God,
I confess that I have sinned against thee,
in thought, word, and deed,
by what I have done,
and by what I have left undone.
I have not loved thee with my whole heart;
I have not loved my neighbors as myself.
I am truly sorry and I humbly repent.
For the sake of thy Son Jesus Christ,
have mercy on me and forgive me;
that I may delight in thy will,
and walk in thy ways,
to the glory of thy name.

O God the Father, Creator of heaven and earth,
Have mercy upon me.

O God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
Have mercy upon me.

O God the Holy Ghost, Sanctifier of the faithful,
Have mercy upon me.

Amen.

15 comments:

Tea with Tiffany said...

I know the feeling. Thank you for your honest thoughts and the closing prayer.

I appreciate your blog. It spurs me on.

Patrick said...

I know the feelings you are speaking of. I think a lot of us can honestly relate to that. I'm not sure a lot of us are even as restrained as you are.

This is similar to something I recently reflected on in my blog. Our inner sins are the worst. I say that because we still have the applause of people, but God knows the truth. I'm glad to hear that you care enough about what's going on inside to offer some confession- both to God and your readers. It's a good thing. It will continue to lead you in the way of the cross.

Admin said...

Tiffany,
Thanks for stopping by again! I always love reading your comments.

I'm glad to know I am able to encourage others, too, even in the midst of my own struggles.

Admin said...

Patrick,
Thank you for your kind words. It is truly a struggle to let go of things sometimes, isn't it?

Thank you for your great blog, too. It encourages me in so many ways!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for openly sharing your thoughts.....
Love ya!

Admin said...

Thanks for always being such a great support, sis. It's so wonderful having you for a sister, friend, and sister in Christ. And it means so much to know you're in my corner, praying for me!

Eric said...

Amen!

I am constantly feeling the same way as you. I am so protective of my female friends. Today, someone started calling her the "s" word, and...well...you should see the other guy.

I need prayer...

Your Servant and His,
Eric J.

Paula said...

Joni,
This is so beautiful. I'm very blessed by your heart to choose forgiveness and by these words.

It's fun to discover you commenting on some of my favorite blogs, too. :o)

Admin said...

Lin, Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a blessing to me, too, my dear friend!

Admin said...

Eric,
It's a battle, isn't it? Thanks for your honesty. It's hard to let go of others' words...and when to know when it's time to step in.

Let's pray for each other!

Admin said...

Paula!
I've missed seeing your comments here. Thanks for stopping by again. Your blog is a great source of inspiration for me, too.

I'm just a blog-hoppin' woman! :-)

Hidden One said...

Joni and Patrick:

Well, I'm happy to say I haven't clobbered anyone lately, but I'm unhappy to say that it hasn't always been by much. Verbal sparring used to be my way of life, and its toguh nto to revert back to old (and I wish dead) habits. You're in my prayers.

Eric:

I'm praying for you, dude. I may well have lashed out physically in that situation... and you know how much I try to avoid any physical violence. You have my sympathy, and my prayers.

~Hidden One~

Admin said...

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, Hidden One.

Our flesh is a tough enemy, isn't it?

Kimber said...

WOW Joni - a lot of this post I could have written myself...I have been called a "goody two shoes" many times over....and injustice comes across my soul like nails on a chalk board - I can barely stand it - and times where I cry out for God to bring swift and appropriate JUSTICE - instead of looking to be merciful or forgiving.

Praying that the Lord continues to show us both the balance - and trust Him to "repay" and uphold the "cause" of the poor, weak and oppressed!

Admin said...

Thanks for the support, Kimber. I sure do need it right now.

Sometimes being the "defender of the cause" is harding than being the "cause"! :-)