Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Whose Map?

Have you ever noticed that God's path for our journey is not the one we would have chosen for ourselves? I'm not just talking about the "big" things, either (jobs, locations, church affiliations, etc.). I'm talking about the journey: the day-to-day places of our lives. Still confused? Let me illustrate.

Several years ago, while on my lunch break from work, I chose a booth away from the lunch crowd. I had been around crowds enough at work. I just needed some quiet for a few minutes. As I was finishing up the last of my fries, the Holy Spirit spoke very clearly to me: See that woman over there? The one carrying her tray away from the front counter? You need to go pray for her. My immediate reaction was: NO WAY! God, You know what a crazy morning it has been at the store. I am not going over there, disturbing some complete stranger's lunch, invading her privacy, only to look like a fool!

And why does it matter what anyone in this place thinks of you? You will probably never see any of these people again in your life.


By now, I was starting to get nervous. This was no joke. I am not a "go up to strangers and make conversation" kind of person. Ten years ago, I was even less that type of person! But if this was truly God speaking, how could I disobey?

So, with shaking knees, trembling hands, and a heart that was pounding like a drum...I obeyed. I walked right over to this woman and her friend, and said, "Excuse me. I'm not sure why, but I really feel God wanted me to come over and pray with you. Would that be okay?" She looked shocked (and who could blame her!?). But she said a quiet, "Yes." I honestly don't remember what I prayed for her. It was a short prayer. All I know is, when I finished, she had tears streaming down her face, said another quiet, "Thank you," and I left.

For the rest of that day, I felt so incredibly free! I had obeyed. The woman had been touched. And it hadn't hurt me a bit!

The next time came several years later. While standing behind an elderly woman at our credit union, I overheard her tell an employee, "I don't really know how to handle these things. He has always done all this." The employee assured her that he would personally make sure it was all taken care of. She was called next. I was called to a different teller. As I started to leave the building, there was that Voice again. You need to pray for her. I was in a hurry. I was embarrassed that I had overheard someone else's conversation. How could I pray for her?

I left the building, and walked halfway across the parking lot. I couldn't leave. I turned around and went back. She was just coming out into the entryway. Amidst much fear and trembling, I said, "I'm sorry to bother you, ma'am. But I really feel like I need to pray for you. Would that be okay?" She said, "Oh, please do!" So I did. When I finished my short little prayer, she told me her husband was in the last stages of cancer. She thanked me and hugged me. We both had tears. A few days later, I saw her husband's obituary in the newspaper. I mailed her a simple card, just to let her know I was still praying for her.

THOSE are God's ways of reminding us: you don't choose the path you take--I do. Should you choose not to take the path I direct you toward, others may miss out on something I have for them.

Yes, there have been more times of disobedience than obedience. Just recently, while on a family trip, I saw a man with a very obvious physical condition. He appeared to be in great pain. He was alone. The Lord spoke to my heart, "Go tell Him I love him." I was sitting with my children in a very busy stop area on the Ohio Turnpike, waiting for our food to arrive. There was no way I was leaving my children alone, so I could go talk to a stranger. However, once my husband arrived with the trays of food, I continued my list of excuses.

And I never made the move to talk to that stranger. O God, forgive me. I have prayed for that man many times since that day.

You see, our choices every day don't just affect our own lives. They affect our families, friends, co-workers, and, yes, even strangers.

May you walk according to God's road map today.

12 comments:

BekABoo said...

Truer words were never spoken. I know God has dragged me down roads, kicking and screaming, only to bless me beyong imagination.
We moved away from "home" when I was 12. My dad was a minister. 4 years later, halfway through high school for me, my parents proposed yet another move. After a mild struggle with depression I was finally coming to grips with, I honestly cried for almost an hour. But, it was for the Lord's work, and who was I to stand in the way? After we moved to FL, I met my husband and got a full academic scholarship to college through the state. We just never know where we'll end up. It's a relief sometimes knowing He's in control.

Admin said...

I so appreciate your insights on being a PK. My kids have gone through this a lot, since my husband and I have spent most of our marriage in ministry. If you have any advice on how to help them, that would be great. Our older son especially struggles with change. The younger seems to just "go with the flow".

Thanks again for your post. You are so right: It IS a relief knowing He's in control!

BekABoo said...

Well, the very first move, I was only 3. The next, I was 12. That was the really hard one for me. My dad is one who tries to ease you into things, always the salesman. They left open the option for going back home, which kept me from really settling in. They thought they were helping us. My brother turned 16 and it was hard on him too. He rebelled a bit. But he only had a few years of HS left, so it wasn't as bas as me. My sister was only 10 and transitioned very easily. When we moved the next time, I was 16, my sister was 14. My brother had graduated and didn't move with us. I immediatly jumped into drama, which I had been involved in at my old school. I had college coming soon and I had a much easier transition than my sis that time. The best advice I can give is to be honest with your kids and encourage them to get involved in an extra curricular activity. It's an easy way to meet new people with similar interests when you move. Like I said in the previous comment, the paths I've been "forced" down have heaped blessings upon me. Things that never would have happened if we hadn't moved. That was a great comfort when we moved also.I'm here for ya and for them. It really is tough for the families.

Bek said...

thanks for encouraging us all towards obedience. oh, how i long to obey the Father. like Jesus, i only want to do what my Father in Heaven is doing! hi, found u through ragamuffin diva, i believe. just stopping in. great post. God bless....

Admin said...

Bek,
Thanks for dropping by! Nice to meet another "Ohioan"!

Bekaboo,
Check my profile. Feel free to drop me an e-mail. I'd like to discuss this further.

Kimber said...

God's map and my map are sometimes two totally different ones - but following His is much more fun and rewarding too.

So glad you followed His plan - sounds like you made an impact, thanks for being His hands and voice of LOVE.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Love this post. I've had similar things happen and what freedom I've felt when I obey. And then I think of all the times I've missed His map and His blessing by my own busyness or fear.

Bless you!

Hidden One said...

Hey - I'm visiting from over on a blog this blog's author recently posted on, and I thought I'd let my thoughts and experiences on this be known.

I've never had the experience of praying for a random person like that...I don't have someone who I remember not praying for. I just remember not praying, not giving the hug, not giving he spare change, not flashing the smile, not volunteering for the missions trip (local and internaitonal both,) not speaking the greeting...not doing what I'm supposed to. I've numbed myself to it simply in my act of ignoring it. I envy you your resolve, and your willingness to do His will.

Sincerely in Christ,
~The Hidden One~

Admin said...

Hidden One~
Thanks for stopping by.

I think we have all had those times when it was easier to walk away or say "no" or turn our heads...obedience is a daily choice of the will. I'm a long way from where I want to be, for sure!

I stopped by your blogs, and just wanted to say: keep seeking the Lord. He wants to be found.

Hidden One said...

Yes, yes He does.

~Hidden one~

Hidden One said...

I just had a situation where I felt called to pray for a person and did, and it was received very gratefully. (by 'just,' I mean since my last post.)

Granted, it was over MSN for a non-Christian friend, but I'm happy that I was able to drum up the resolve to pray for him openly.

Just thought I'd note that I now have a memory of doing what God told me too, (in that area.) What a concept - doing as He says!

~Hidden One~

Admin said...

Hidden One,
Thank you so much for sharing that with me. You really blessed my day.

Isn't it an incredible feeling to obey?
I'm discovering that each time we step out of our comfort zone, it's that much easier to do it the next time He asks.

Thanks again!